Join us for this month's exclusive content featuring tips from music industry insiders, exercises you can do at home, and more!
Check back weekly for brand new videos, blogs, exercises, and the Nashville Workshop livestreams!
*Note: You must be logged in as an NSAI Member to view the below exclusive content!
This month we will focus on writing for the country genre!
JORDAN REYNOLDS, WARNER CHAPPELL MUSIC SONGWRITER/PRODUCER
Rising songwriter Jordan Reynolds, originally hailing from St. Louis, has quickly made a name for himself in Nashville. Jordan’s songwriting is a fusion of classic country and soulful pop. His songs have been cut by Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, Thomas Rhett, Lauren Alaina, Brett Eldredge, and Dan + Shay. Reynolds is currently having success with Dan + Shay’s current single “Tequila”. When Jordan is not working as a well-rounded musician, vocalist, songwriter, and producer he spends his time with his wife Taylor and their dog Maddy.
SAM JERVEY, CREATIVE DIRECTOR FOR BIG LOUD SHIRT
In this video feature, Downtown Music Publishing songwriter Kelly Archer talks melody and lyric in the country genre. Additionally, she tells the stories behind "Somebody Else Will," (Dustin Lynch) and "Sleep Without You," (Brett Young).
BONUS VIDEO: JONATHAN SINGLETON REFLECTS ON WRITING "DIE FROM A BROKEN HEART" FOR MADDIE & TAE
In this short video, Big Machine music/ 50 Egg's Jonathan Singleton reflects on the writing process for Maddie & Tae's "Die From A Broken Heart," a conversational country song written with Deric Rutten, Maddie Marlow and Taylor Dye.
PAST COFFEE BREAKS FEATURING COUNTRY WRITERS:
May 10, 2019: Abby Anderson | Video | Apple Podcasts
*April 25, 2019: Derek Wells | Soundcloud | Apple Podcasts
April 19, 2019: Corey Crowder | Video | Podcast
December 27, 2018: Adam Hood | Podcast
December 21, 2018: Laura Veltz | Video | Podcast
December 3, 2018: Jillian Jacqueline | Video | Podcast
November 9, 2018: Jessie Jo Dillon | Video | Podcast
October 26, 2018: Ryan Hurd | Video | Podcast
September 28, 2018: Adam Hambrick | Video | Podcast
April 2, 2018: Jenna Paulette | Video | Podcast
March 19, 2018: RaeLynn | Video | Podcast
March 13, 2018: Carly Pearce | Video | Podcast
JUNE 2019 EXERCISES:
Nashville is the heart of country music. It's where all country writers aspire to be and all legends love to come back to.
Here are some exercises to strengthen your country songwriting craft!
1. Go outside and look at your surroundings. Find inspiration in the simplicity of life by writing about things that make us all human. Country songs have a way of sounding like a simple thought when in fact there are layers upon layers of metaphorical thought and emotion. Write about the parts of life that make us all human. They are often the most relatable songs.
2. Find a cowriter who is already strong in their country songwriting. Hanging around people who are better than you at the craft you are practicing often leads you to challenge yourself. Challenging yourself produces more thought behind your creations!
3. Go to a country show. Watch how the artist sings the songs and pay attention to the songs they seem to resonate more with. Write songs like that! Pay attention to certain melodic structures and clever hooks.
4. Stop confining yourself to a structure! Hit songs become classics because listeners and fans are craving something they haven't experienced yet. Sticking too closely to a structure can sometime defeat your strongest creative notions.
5. Give yourself a dedicated schedule to write by. For example, Mondays can be country days. Tuesdays are for pop. Wednesday is for finishing songs from the 2 days before. Allow yourself space between the genres and the days you write so you will be able to think clearly and write specifically for one or the other.